Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A craft activity to help your kids understand the meaning of Remembrance Day

As veterans day approaches, there is no better time to teach your kids about heroism and bravery.
Today I asked Opal what Remembrance Day means.  His response, "You wear a Poppy to help you remember things.  Like, buckle your seat belt and brush your teeth."  Very cute response, but of course I followed it up with a proper explanation of why we celebrate Remembrance day.  
Our conversation ended but I still felt as though I needed to offer him a tangible way of understanding "Bravery".  Fortunately, today I had the perfect opportunity to do just that.  We just so happened to have had a Dr.'s appointment booked today.  Opal was scheduled to get his 4-6 year needles.
I made sure to recognize his fears as well as honor his bravery.

                                  Of course I made sure he wore his Superman shirt to get his needles

 After supper tonight we had an award ceremony!  Opal was awarded this "Medal Of Bravery" for getting his needle today.  This activity is a wonderful way to discuss with your children their concerns and fears.
It also gives them a concrete way of understanding why we celebrate Remembrance Day
                       ~To honor those who so bravely risked their lives to protect us~

In case you're wondering, I found the printable bravery medal pdf here
 

                                                                            

4 comments:

Emy said...

What a great activity. Both my dad and father-in law are Veterans.

P.S.
I'm hosting my very first ever blog hop; It'll be open until Sunday. If you get a chance stop by :-)

Emy
http://alwaysaroundboys.blogspot.com/2010/11/welcome-weekened-blog-hop.html

Tracy said...

Hey, great post! I'm always trying to think of ways to explain remembrance day to my kids.

Unknown said...

great idea and activity. I'm a new follower. Hope you can follow me back.

http://thewhitefamilyof6.blogspot.com

Elaine said...

Hi...following from the welcome weekend blog hop. Your blog looks so interesting....can't wait to browse around more.
Elaine :)